Coronavirus: Three ICU Passing’s since April 10th in New Zealand

Coronavirus: Three ICU Passing’s since April 10th in New Zealand

Last Updated:

Do you have a story? send newstips to [email protected]

Do you believe in independent owned news? please help us keep the independent industry alive by contributing for as little as $1

Contribute orange-arrow
On Friday, April 11, 2020, The country had a third death linked to COVID-19; the following days after

New Zealand’s First death linked to COVID-19 was on March 29 on the West coast, a woman in her 70’s with underlying health conditions.

The second death linked to COVID-19 was on April 10, a woman in her 90’s at Burwood Hospital in Christchurch city.

The third death was a man in his 80s who passed away at Wellington Public Hospital on April 11. He first became unwell on March 26 and was admitted to the hospital two days later.

Want your ad here? Advertise with thisquality
Advertisement Advertisement
Want your ad here? Advertise with thisquality

The fourth death was a man in his 70s who was at Burwood Hospital in Christchurch on April 11.

The fifth death is a man in his 80s, one of the residents that have been cared for at Burwood Hospital in Christchurch on April 13.

“I am also saddened to report today that there has been the 5th death,” said Dr. Ashley Bloomfield, Director-General of Health

“His family are of course in our thoughts, and we offer sympathy and support to them at this time,” said Dr. Ashley Bloomfield, Director-General of Health

Due to privacy reasons, no further details will be announced.

Three of the five deaths are linked to clusters.

“New Zealand now has four deaths associated with COVID-19. As we have said previously, this can be a severe disease, particularly for elderly people and also for those with underlying health conditions,” McElnay said in a previous press conference.

“We need to be prepared for further or possible deaths,” said Dr. Ashley Bloomfield, Director-General of Health

Overall there are now 33 associated cases involved with the Rosewood Residential aged care cluster. 17 are confirmed, and 16 are probable cases. All three people that have died are confirmed cases. 13 were residents of the 33 instances of the facility, and 18 are staff with two connected through close contact or family transmission.

Of the 18 staff cases, 7 are confirmed positive, and 11 are confirmed probably. One of the examples is a staff member working at the Burwood Christchurch Hospital. The DHB is investigating the root of the transmission on how this person had gotten infected with COVID-19.

All staff involved in the care and transfer of those people from the rest home were using appropriate PPE.

Want your ad here? Advertise with thisquality
Advertisement Advertisement
Want your ad here? Advertise with thisquality

“What it does show is that even with PPE, this does not automatically prevent people from becoming infected; PPE needs to be used appropriately, and likewise, it is not a fail-safe. So there is a shallow threshold for investigating staff with any symptoms and or testing,”

“I’ve just spoken with the medical of health down there, and they will be doing wide testing of staff and other who may be involved in this cluster in the coming days to check that there are no further people that might have the infection and be pre-symptomatic,” said Dr. Ashley Bloomfield, Director-General of Health

In terms of clusters, we now have the following: 15 groups all up that is above the threshold.

The additional two have just reached that threshold of 10 cases; one of these is an aged residential care facility in Auckland City, and the other is a small outbreak in Christchurch.

“We are just getting further information on the nature of that outbreak,” said Dr. Ashley Bloomfield, Director-General of Health.

If you like this article, please consider contributing to support thisquality in producing trustworthy independent owned news.

Contribute now orange-arrow