Learn our story about how we are independent and what is needed to keep thisquality operating. You might be able to donate to us so we can inform and share what matters faster.Learn More
There are 2 new total cases of COVID-19 to report in New Zealand today.
The total number of active cases of COVID-19 is 61. 29 of those are imported cases in MIQ facilities, and 32 are community cases.
There are 3 people with COVID-19 in hospital today.
No cases are currently in ICU (Intensive Care Unit).
The number of COVID-19 related deaths in New Zealand is 25.
The 0 new cases bring a total number of confirmed cases to 1,464, which is the number MOH (Ministry of Health) reports to the World Health Organization.
There are currently 39 people isolating in the Auckland quarantine facility from the community, this is also including 18 people who have tested positive for COVID-19 and their household contacts.
“It is worth reiterating here that even with the shifts in Alert Levels we should remain vigilant as the risk, although small, remains. In particular, people should monitor their health and if symptoms appear, stay home and seek a test,” said a spokeswomen from the Ministry of Health.
Testing laboratories processed 3,278 tests, bringing the total number of tests completed to date to 917,699.
Since August 12, contact tracing teams have identified 4,003 close contacts of cases. Of which, 3,992 close contacts have been contacted and are self-isolating or have completed self-isolation. We are in the process of contacting the rest.
One case each out of the three currently in hospital are at Auckland City, Middlemore and North Shore hospitals.
All three patients are in isolation on a general ward
One additional case previously reported has now been considered to have recovered from COVID-19.
On Sept 16 the Ministry of Health reported to media that a man who had COVID-19 sadly died. The man was In his 50s, he was a confirmed case of COVID-19 linked to the Auckland cluster. The man was admitted to Waikato Hospital on August 19 then transferred to ICU on August 26. Sadly, he passed away yesterday afternoon.
The man’s whanau has asked us to tell the country that “coronavirus is so real”, and to be very vigilant and cautious.
They have issued a plea to all New Zealanders: “if you are sick and have symptoms, stay home”.
This man’s death again emphasises the importance of reducing transmission of the virus and also the consequences it can have.
There have now been 25 COVID-19 related deaths in New Zealand.
“Our thoughts are with this man’s family and friends during this difficult time as they mourn the loss of their loved one. They have requested privacy as they grieve, and we ask that that is respected.”
The total casualties in New Zealand are now 25.
App contact alert information:
The Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield says, “we know the app has been making a real difference to the work of our contact tracers. App uptake was also a key factor in the decision to ease physical distancing requirements for public transport so it’s great when people have it and use it.”
A total of 18 alerts sent to contacts have been announced through the app to let people know they might have been exposed to COVID-19, this means they can take relevant steps to protect themselves, their whânau and the community.
Four other alerts were related to the recent case involving a health worker at Auckland’s quarantine facility.
“When we need to send an alert, we can customise it so people who have visited locations with a higher risk of exposure are advised to self-isolate and get tested, while people who visited lower-risk locations can be asked to look out for any COVID-19 symptoms.”
The contact tracing team points to the app as a ‘good example’ of blending technology with human reality.
“Up to date contact information provided through the app makes the contact and interview process much quicker and easier. It’s been great to see wide uptake and use of the app over recent weeks,” says Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield.
“It’s vital people continue to do so as we move down alert levels – it needs to be part of our daily routines.”
On September 9, the Ministry of Health announced new updates to the COVID Tracer App.
The new NZ COVID Tracer app update will mean that the scanner will open directly to the scan screen, but only if they are logged in. A smart feature also means you can bypass the login screen to scan a QR code if you do not have much time to enter your COVID Tracer password.
Diary entries for the NZ COVID Tracer app will now be stored in your phone for 60 days instead of 31, as previously they were deleted at 31 days– this will make it easier for contact tracers to establish links between possible cases or links to COVID-19.
“Note that this doesn’t in any way affect the security of your information – the Ministry cannot access your digital diary unless you choose to share it with us after a request from a contact tracer.”
The Ministry is recommending that you are adding notes to your diary entries to record who you were with to ensure contact tracing is a lot quicker. The app now allows you to do this as you’re scanning a QR code or a specified time to add them when you can.
The Ministry also announced to media that the NZ COVID Tracer booklet is also available from the COVID19 Government website to help people keep a written record of where they’ve been and who they’ve seen if they cannot download the NZ COVID Tracer app.
To see all live daily updates covered by thisquality, click here
Have time to spare? If you liked this publication, please learn our story to support thisquality. Fund trustworthy news coming from official Government newswires and local voices inside communities.Contribute