The University of Otago has postponed today's graduations due to a ‘threat' that was sent to them earlier in the week electronically.
A statement reads: “Earlier this week the University electronically received a threat to its upcoming graduation ceremonies. Today, two graduations were planned to go ahead at 1 pm and 4 pm.”
Vice-Chancellor Professor Harlene Hayne of the University says that the threat was centred on the graduation ceremonies.
“The safety of everyone who is planning to attend the ceremonies and the wider Dunedin community is at the heart of this difficult decision. The Police have strongly recommended that the graduation ceremonies scheduled for today are postponed, and we support their recommendation,” Professor Hayne says.
“We realise this will be incredibly distressing to everyone who was planning to take part in the ceremonies in person. For many, this was the replacement ceremony because of previous cancellations due to COVID-19. We share your disappointment.”
The graduation ceremonies that are planned on Saturday and next week will still go ahead.
Police and other authorities are working to investigate the security threat.
This publication was free for you to read. Each publication takes lengths of time to make, gather genuine sourced knowledge and information from official sources. Quality over quantity is not free to produce.
If you've read this publication and thought or considered supporting more from independetly owned news outlet thisquality based in Aotearoa New Zealand, it is greater than ever and much appreciated.
It only takes a minute...★ No advertisements if your contribution is $12/ᵐᵒ or more